Why Become MTNA Certified?
For the Music Teacher
- Encourages improvement in teaching though continuous self-study and planning.
- Raises the likelihood for a higher level of teacher competency and effectiveness.
- Increases the potential for earning power for applied music teachers.
- Improves the level of professionalism within the field of applied music teaching.
- Identifies for the public competent applied music teachers.
- Fosters excellence in music education through the development of criteria, standards, and guidelines for assessing educational competencies in performance, music theory, music history/literature, and pedagogy/teacher education.
- Assures the educational community, the general public, and other agencies or organizations that the MTNA Professional Certification Program for applied music teachers has been closely defined with appropriate objectives.
- Provides a national forum for the discussion and consideration of concerns relevant to the preservation and advancement of standards in the field of applied musical education.
- Develops a national unity and strength for the purpose of maintaining the position of applied music study in the family of fine arts and humanities and providing qualified teachers to guide that study.
- Sets a uniform national minimum standard of achievement without restricting the development of new ideas, experimentation, or the expansion of personal standards.
For more information …
WSMTA Certification Chair
Rose Freeman, NCTM
MTNA Certification Officer
888.512.5278 ext. 237