Music Artistry Program
The Music Artistry Program of WSMTA is a self-supporting annual event developed for students to encourage interest in music and to maintain standards of fine musicianship.
What is the Music Artistry Program?
For the Student:
- Set goals which encourages preparation beyond the normal weekly routine.
- The process is similar to sports: practice – games – tournaments.
- Perform for a highly-respected visiting artist
- Work one-on-one with the visiting artist to improve your performance
- Receive written comments and a certificate for your hard work
For the Parent:
- The Music Artistry Program serves as a goal for your child to prepare two memorized pieces
- Non-competitive format encourages learning, rather than comparison with others
- Visiting artists are experienced teachers with advanced training, have been carefully screened by WSMTA, are nationally certified by MTNA and many serve on college faculties around the Northwest
For the Teacher:
- Challenge yourself and your students to achieve goals
- Observe your students’ lessons from a third-person perspective, often seeing new ways to approach difficult situations or unique problems
- Share ideas and questions with a supportive colleague during one-on-one time with the visiting artist after they has heard all your students
- Discover trends and areas which may need improvement
The Music Artistry Program (MAP) may be organized and carried out by Chapters for piano, voice, organ, string, woodwind or brass by April 18. A preliminary report must be filed by November 1st with the MAP chair using an approved adjudicator from the WSMTA Visiting Artists list.
Teachers who are not member of WSMTA may participate with a registration of $125.00 plus student fees. Please contact the WSMTA Administrative Coordinator for registration instructions.
Information for the Teacher
- Procedural information and materials are available for each teacher and are listed below or through your local chapter MAP Chair.
- If you would like to register your students for the Music Artistry Program, please login to the Member Dashboard. You will need to fill out a “Student Registration” and a “Teacher Registration”.
- Do you have a student that needs financial help to enter the Music Artistry Program?
Check out the WSMTA Music Artistry Program Grant to learn more and apply.
Information for the Teacher who is NOT A MEMBER OF WSMTA
If you would like to register students in the WSMTA Music Artistry Program but are not a member of WSMTA, you will need to complete different steps for registration. Please CLICK HERE to learn more about or to start the non-member registration process.
Information for the Chapter Music Artistry Program (MAP) Chair
- You can access the official WSMTA Visiting Artist List on the member dashboard (please use the Member Login to access the dashboard). If you are unable to hire a visiting artist from this list then please contact Jason Kuo, Music Artistry Program Chair.
Information for the Visiting Artists (formerly called Adjudicators)
- Please click here for: Visiting Artist Instructions & Policies
- This document contains a wealth of information to help ensure a successful event for all involved. Please read and review before your next adjudicating job.